There are no products in this section
2013 ION Award is "Closed" to submissions
Thank you to all who entered!!!!!
The winners of the 2013 Ion Award Game Design Competition: Chris Unrinko & Daniel Jenkins for Hold Your Breathe in the Light Games category and Josha Raab for Nika in the Strategy Games category.
There were 29 entries this year. Strategy: 17, and Light Games: 12. The judges told us that this was the best group of finalists yet!
Well done to all 8 of our finalists.
The Ion Award Recognizes Excellence in Unpublished Games
The Ion Award is for any game designer with an unpublished game. The entry process is as follows
1. The game designer submits a picture of his/her game with the attached summary form and an electronic copy of the game rules.
2. Judges review the packet and select the games they wish to review.
3. The designers of the games with the highest reviews are invited to personally demonstrate their games to industry experts at SaltCON 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
The Ion Award competition at SaltCON is designed to be the premier competition for game designers to meet publishers. SaltCON will be the premier convention for publishers to see the hottest new unpublished games that have achieved a high standard of excellence.
1. All game designers, regardless of publication history. Judges will review game summaries and rules without knowing the game designer’s name.
2. The game cannot be under consideration by any company at the time of submission or judging.
3. The game cannot be published or marketed prior to the competition. This includes but is not limited to self-publishing, print and play games, and crowd-funding opportunities.
4. The game must be complete by the time of submission.
5. Designers may submit more than one game with his/her name on it as the primary designer or as a co-designer. Each game must be a separate submission and paid for accordingly.
6. Only the game designer may submit his/her game. If selected for final judging, the designer must attend SaltCON on the day(s) of judging. Proxy presentations are negotiable.
7. A game that does not score in the top three of the Ion Award may be submitted a maximum of twice more in future competitions.
8. Participants who are related to, or work for any of the companies who are judging final submissions, cannot participate in this competition. No participant should contact these companies about the Ion Award. Since the organizers of SaltCON are also game designers, they may submit games to the competition because the judges will operate independently of the SaltCON organization.
9. Violation of these rules will result in withdrawal of the game from the competition and/or removal of awards.
1. By submitting your game to the SaltCON-Ion Award, you agree to not hold SaltCON Utah LLC or any of the participants, including but not exclusive to the judges of the Ion Award, liable for any perceived intellectual property infringement. Paid submission of a games to SaltCON is a validation that you have read, understand, and accept the terms of this agreement.
2. Please use the SaltCON 2013 Submission Form completed in English. Do not use a font size smaller than Arial 11 pt.
3. Summaries, rules, pictures and non-refundable $10.00 entry fee must be received by November 30, 2012, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a digital photograph of the game as an attachment.
a. Judges will be screened by SaltCON staff to ensure they meet high standards of knowledge in the field of game play and/or publishing.
b. Judges will be representatives of game publishing companies who produce freelance designer games, qualified game store employees, and/or published authors.
i. Judges’ identities will not be revealed prior to the competition
ii. Judges’ affiliations will not be released prior to the competition.
2. Packet Grading
a. Games will be divided by designer selected classification and assigned to judges who possess the appropriate knowledge for the type of game and are willing to review the game.
i. The two categories are Serious Game and Light Game. Light games generally refer to a family or party game.
b. Judges will rank all their assigned summaries independently without discussion or disclosure of the game to any person not associated with SaltCON.
c. The authors of summaries with the highest cumulative rankings will receive an invitation to present their games at SaltCON 2013.
d. If a game summary is of particular interest to an individual publisher, authors will be given the publisher's contact information.
e. All participants will receive a summary feedback sheet from all judges who reviewed/playtested the game. The sheets have no official capacity other than to offer feedback on the reviewer’s concerns or preferences.
3. The Ion Award Competition
a. Designers will be notified of their game’s status on or around January 20, 2013.
b. The game designer is encouraged to attend SaltCON dates to be announced. Further details will be sent to the game designer with the acceptance letter.
c. During the times listed above, the designer or proxy will explain the rules of his/her game to the judges and be available during the game to answer any questions.
d. Once the game evaluation is complete, the designer will be asked to leave the area so the judges can evaluate the game.
e. Judges will fill out forms evaluating your game. These forms will be collected and collated by SaltCON staff who have not submitted games to the contest themselves.
f. The game designer is encouraged to attend the convention on Saturday evening, which is when the Ion Award winner(s) will be announced.
g. In case of ties for the top three games, all designers in the tie will be named to the tied rank.
h. The Ion Award winners will be announced Saturday evening at 6:00 p.m.
i. The winner(s) will receive a plaque for the event.
j. Scoring will be handled by a proprietary scoring mechanism.
k. Winning games in 2013 may use the Ion Award logo on furture packaging without charge.
2013 Submission Form
Send completed form, rules, and photograph of prototype by November 30, 2012 to email@example.com
Games will not be reviewed without form, rules, photograph (not to exceed one letter sized page), and $10.00 registration fee.
Submit payment through SaltCON website via PayPal
Game Name: _____________________
Club or Guild Name: _____________________________
Club or Guild Website: ___________________________
Number of Players: ______________________________
Play Length: ____________________________________
Age Range: _____________________________________
Game Type (Circle one): Strategy Game Family/Party Game
Game Summary (500 words or less)